2007-04-07

ESL 257: Finding a book at a bookstore.

Learn how to find a book at a bookstore. The episode is about a customer walking into the bookstore and asking one of the employees where certain kinds of books are.

Dialogue:

Clerk: Can I help you find something?

Adrian: Yes. Can you tell me where the non- fiction books are?

Clerk: Are you looking for hardbacks or paperbacks?

Adrian: I’m not sure. I think hardbacks.

Clerk: Well, the non-fiction new releases are at the front of the store. The non-fiction section is behind the fiction shelves on your right. The hardbacks are on the top shelves and the paperbacks on the bottom ones. Is there a specific book I can help you find?

Adrian: I’m looking for an old book and I’m not sure of the title. It’s something like, “The Literary Crisis.”

Clerk: Do you know the name of the author?

Adrian: No, I don’t. I saw it mentioned online and I actually wrote down the ISBN, but I can’t find it now.

Clerk: Well, if it’s an old book, it may be out- of-print, but let me look it up in our system. If it was a bestseller at one time, there’s a chance that it’s still in print. Let me check…Okay, here it is. It was published in 1982, and unfortunately, it is out-of-print. You may want to try a used bookstore, like Bookwoman’s down the street.

Adrian: Thanks, I’ll give them a try. I’m also looking for a biography. Can you tell me where they are?
Clerk: Sure. The biographies are behind the reference section over there. Let me know if you need any more help.

Adrian: Thanks. I appreciate it.

Sentences:

Can I help you find something?

Yes. Can you tell me where the non-fiction books are?

ŸCan you tell me / Could you tell me..: is nicer way to ask question, it’s more polite.

Ÿnon-fiction books: are the books that they are true. The opposite of non-fiction is fiction.

Ÿfiction books: are imaginary, they are not real.

Are you looking for hardbacks or paperbacks?

ŸA hardback book: is a book that has a hard cover, one that does not bend easily.

ŸA paperback book: is the book that has a flexible paper on the cover, so the cover of the book is made of a soft, flexible paper. It isn’t hard.

I’m not sure. I think hardbacks.

Well, the non-fiction new releases are at the front of the store. The non-fiction section is behind the fiction shelves on your right. The hardbacks are on the top shelves and the paperbacks on the bottom ones. Is there a specific book I can help you find?

Ÿnew releases books: are the books that have recently been published. They became available very recently.

I’m looking for an old book and I’m not sure of the title. It’s something like, “the Literary Crisis”?

Ÿtitle : is the name of the book or a magazine or an article.

Do you know the name of the author?

No, I don’t. I saw it mentioned online and I actually wrote down the ISBN, but I can’t find it now.

ŸISBN: International Standard Book Number. This is a number that is given a book when it’s published. It’s a unique number; meaning it’s only for that book, no other book has that same number. This is the number that the bookstore and the library use to identify, locate and order books

Well, if it’s an old book, it may be out-of-print, but let me look it up in our system. If it was a bestseller at one time, there’s a chance it’s still in print. Let me check. Okay, here it is. It was published in 1982, and unfortunately, it is out-of-print. You may want to try a used bookstore, like Bookwoman’s down the street.

Ÿout-of-print: means the company that published the book is not making new copies of the book. It isn’t in print any more.

Ÿto look something up: means to search for something. Usually in a computer, a reference book, the book that gives you information about things. You’re trying to find something, usually a fact or a piece of information about the book on their computer.

Ÿa bestseller: a very popular book.

Ÿto publish: it was made, produced and then sold to the public, people who want to buy the book.

Ÿused; old, second hand.

Thanks, I’ll give them a try. I’m also looking for a biography. Can you tell me where they are?

Ÿto give something a try: means to do something to see if it will work, try to do something to see if you like it.

Sure. The biographies are behind the reference section over there. Let me know if you need any more help.

Ÿreference section: are places where they have books such as dictionaries, or encyclopedias . This would be a place where you sell the books that have lots of different kinds of information about a specific topic. In the library they have the reference section where have dictionaries, encyclopedias, telephone books and often books that you can’t take out of the library, you must use them in the library; those are sometimes called reference books.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

No comments: